Intermediate Pour-Over Kit (with grinder)
For those of you who want to try the wonderful depth of flavour and clarity that can result from mastering the art of the pour over, but are overwhelmed by all the choices, let our Head Roaster Will's selection of affordable, Japanese made pour over tools help you get started!
This kit includes everything you need to start pour-overing like a pro (more detailed info on each product can be found further down):
- Timemore Cyrstal Eye Dripper (2 cup), comes with bonus filters and is made of beautiful and strong optical glass.
- An additional pack of 60 Japanese cotton paper filters, from Kinto.
- Hario Skerton Plus Hand Grinder: Ceramic burr grinder with glass bowl. Unlock the complete flavour profile of your coffee by grinding fresh and with consistently sized grinds.
- Kinto Slow Style 300 ml Glass Carafe. There is something very zen about dripping into a carafe instead of a mug. It will also allow you to see the colour and clarity of your brew, and the pour from the carafe to your cup will help infuse your brew with important oxygen. And it looks cool for the gram.
Tip: The only two things missing, that aren't required but will help you with your consistent, delicate pours, are:
- A Gooseneck kettle. If you don't want to have to buy a new electric kettle, we suggest buying a small (350-500 ml) stainless steel Gooseneck kettle that you can buy online for relatively cheap ($15-30). Just many of them aren't great for boiling in. Simply boil from your regular electric kettle and pour it into the Gooseneck kettle. Voila!
- Scale/Timer. For relatively cheap, you can buy a scale with a timer built in (or use your phone with a scale with no timer). Just try and get a scale that can measure by the 1 gram (ideally 0.1g). This will help weigh your coffee dose, and measure the amount of water you pour, and the time you do it in. Sounds complicated, it isn't!
Further Info On Each Product:
Hario Skerton Plus Hand Grinder:
- The new Skerton Plus stabilizes the ceramic burrs with a new little plate for a significantly more consistent grind. It's still high capacity (100g) so you can brew for a small or larger group, and it is really well priced given the quality of the product and the grinds it makes.
With a ceramic conical burr set (the bit that grinds the coffee) and a sturdy handle, this will provide you with consistently ground fresh coffee to ensure a delicious cup! You can easily adjust the grind size allowing the Skerton to be suitable for virtually any brew method.
Timemore Crystal Eye Dripper:
- Just looking at the beautiful yet durable Crystal Eye will improve your brewing technique and resulting cup!
- The unique design of the dripper makes it easier to see how your coffee is brewing.
- The grooves in the bottom third of the dripper allow for smoother flow, and combined with the ribs in the pouring area, create an ideal extraction.
- Also wait till you get a load of the crystal light shining rainbows out of your dripper and onto your Instagram page.
- Includes paper filters and is compatible with Kinto 01 and V60-01 Filters.
Kinto Slow Style Glass Carafe:
- This heat resistant glass will help you take part in the almost meditative process of brewing a pour-over coffee. And will help remind you to slow down, even if just for a few minutes to brew a cup.
- Using the best material and Japanese craftsmanship, this piece will be a welcome addition to your coffee rituals. It's pretty much the only one we use at the shop as it's tough and beautiful.
Kinto Filter Paper (60 filters):
- The Cotton Paper Filter is made of cotton linter pulp and wood pulp. The filter brings out a clear taste in your brew that showcases our coffees unique flavour profiles.
- As with any paper filter, ensure that you rinse the filter with boiling water before brewing to remove any remaining paper taste.
- No chemical adhesive is used for the seam of this filter. Fold the paper along the seam before use in the brewer, or the seam may separate.